In recognition of the role digital technology is destined to play in "
Dwolatzky said that digital technology will need to be used to educate and empower the continent's more than a billion citizens and is at the heart of the Fak'ugesi: Digital Africa Festival. The phrase Fak'ugesi is Zulu street slang for "switch on the electricity" or "shine more light". Dwolatzky elaborated: "As a name for the festival, the phrase emphasises the energy and excitement of the forces of
A critical role to play
Situated at the heart of
"The festival will attract students, researchers and entrepreneurs with an interest in digital technology throughout
The festival will be centred on the JCSE's new Tshimologong Precinct as well as making use of some of the venues on Wit's East and West Campus and in the fashionable inner-city areas of Braamfontein, Maboneng Precinct and
What to expect
Several headlines events have already been confirmed:
- A Maze/
- Cascade: Cascade is a collaborative multi-disciplinary project that champions digital content development through a series of workshops and activities. The event is led by "Onedotzero" - an experiential arts organisation with over 16 years' experience in curating and producing cultural events and content for brands and agencies. Cascade will be supported by the
- Process Improvement Africa: This is a one-day conference focusing on the role that process and process improvement plays in helping ICT organisations deliver high-quality products and services in a predictable and repeatable manner. The conference will showcase models and methods such as CMMI, ITIL, TSP and AGILE;
- Maker Event: 3-D Printing, laser cutters and other rapid prototyping tools are revolutionising hardware innovation. "Maker Spaces" give innovators the freedom to explore solutions in the hardware world as easily as software developers do in the world of bits and bytes. The Maker Event will provide an opportunity for makers to collaborate, learn and teach; and
- Unyazi Festival of Electronic Music: The only African festival dedicated to the latest developments in electronic and electro-acoustic music. Launched at Wits in 2005, the 2014 festival, in partnership with NewMusicSA, will feature innovative and exploratory music from African and the rest of the world.
Social Media Week is a bi-annual event that takes place in over 14 cities around the world, celebrating the best in innovation, creativity and technology. The goal of each event is to provide the best information, ideas and inspiration to help people understand how to achieve more in a hyper-connected world. Social Media Week started in
For more, contact Prof
All rights reserved.
Most Popular Stories
- Prosecutor to Investigate Walmart Police Shooting
- GM to Announce New Jobs in Tennessee
- Smith & Wesson Misses Target
- Emirates Hit Libyan Targets With Airstrikes
- Michael Brown Funeral: Can Americans Change the Script of Violence?
- Mark Sanchez Suddenly a Hot QB Commodity
- American Killed With ISIS Fighters in Syria
- Marco Rubio Warns Obama on Deportations
- Ford Hires 300 at Louisville Lincoln Plant
- Surf's Up! SoCal Prepares for Big Storm Surf