Soundgarden has always been a tough band to peg. Did the
Just call them hard-rocking survivors. More than 30 years after its start, the band is launching a U.S. tour with Nine Inch Nails (
Making its debut at No. 1 on the Billboard album chart, Superunknown would go on to sell more than 5 million copies. Songs
When the band gathered to record Superunknown, "we were definitely at the height of our creative powers and in our performing powers at that stage of the game," says drummer
The album has been buffed up for new 20th-anniversary editions, out now. A
This new Superunknown, remastered by
Listening to the album in surround sound "is pretty trippy," he says. "It works well because this album has a lot of depth and psychedelic parts to it, and there's a lot of motion, from the spoon solo in Spoonman to the guitar solos in Superunknown and Like Suicide. It really lends itself to the surround-sound mix."
Entering the studio in 1993, Soundgarden had "so much great material that we had fun with," Thayil says. "Obviously, at some point, when we heard Chris' demo for
He remembers Yamamoto stopping by the studio to say hi and hear the demo. "He immediately said, 'That's your hit.'" "
Among the rarities on the second CD: an acoustic version of Cornell's Like Suicide, an even-crunchier iteration of Fell on Black Days called Black Days III, and a demo of Birth Ritual from 1991's Badmotorfinger.
On the five-disc set, devotees can digest a raw, nine-minute demo of Like Suicide, rehearsals of most Superunknown tracks and stray takes. "There was a lot we didn't include," Cameron says. "But it seems in today's climate people want to hear as much of the process as they possibly can."
Most Popular Stories
- 'Lucy's' Super Powers Tops 'Hercules' at Box Office
- The Rise and Fall of Richard Alarcon
- 'Sharknado' Sequel Has Bite and Lots of Laughs
- Nissan Profits Rise on Growth in U.S., China
- U.N. Renews Demand for Gaza Cease-Fire
- Shania Twain's Vegas residency ending after 110 shows
- Pending Home Sales Slipped in June
- Desktop, Laptop Setups Still King
- Four DC Comics Properties Brought to TV Get Comic-Con Event
- Vancrest Assisted Living Project to Add 20 Jobs