"We have to make college more affordable but also help students better manage their debt after they graduate," Shaheen said. "Excessive student loan debt is a significant drag on the economy, keeping many young people from buying a home or even providing for their families. Today's news is a welcome first step but the fact is we have to do more, including passing our plan to let students refinance their loans."
Student loan debt has hit
Most Popular Stories
- National Retail Federation Reduces Sales Forecast
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Xavier Gutierrez Appointed to Bank Board
- Ted Cruz: Why Did FAA Ban Flights to Israel?
- Honda' s Accord Plug-in Hybrid Is a Fuel Miser
- Morgan Stanley Ponies Up $275 Million to Settle SEC Charges
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Risks of Layoffs Becoming Rarer in U.S.
- Long-term Strengths Emerge in U.S. Economy
- Weekly Jobless Claims Drop to Lowest Level in 8 Years