The index fell half a point, or 0.02 percent, to close at 1,950 on Tuesday, losing ground for just the second day this month.
The Dow Jones industrial average rose 2.82 points, or 0.02 percent, to 16,945. The Nasdaq composite gained 1.75 points, or 0.04 percent, to 4,338.
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- The Hip New Career? Farming
- McDonald's Names Another U.S. President
- Student Startup Develops Date-rape Detector
- Is Diversity in the Eye of the Beholder?
- Sahara Casino Rises Anew as SLS Las Vegas
- Chinese Coal Gas Boom Poses Climate Risks
- Job Market Shifts Complicate Yellen's Rate Decision
- U.S. Supporters of Islamic State Get Close Scrutiny
- Investors Betting on ECB Stimulus Measures