BALTIMORE - Orioles third baseman Manny Machado has been suspended for five games and fined for intentionally throwing his bat on the field during Sunday's game against Oakland.
Barring an appeal, the suspension will begin with Tuesday night's game against visiting Boston.
Machado let his bat fly in the direction of third base after swinging at a pitch from Oakland's Fernando Abad in the eighth inning. The bat-toss came during a plate appearance in which Abad threw a tight pitch to Machado.
After the bat went soaring, both benches emptied. Machado and Abad were ejected.
It was the second time in three days that the 22-year-old Machado lost his temper. On Friday night, he screamed in the face of Oakland third baseman Josh Donaldson after being tagged in the chest.
Original headline: Orioles 3B Machado receives 5-game suspension for throwing bat on field
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- Swiss Suicide Tourism Doubled Since 2009
- Wealth Gap Widened in Past Decade: Census
- Florida's Largest Insurer Says 'Bailout' Attacks Unfair
- Job Market Shifts Complicate Yellen's Rate Decision
- U.S. Supporters of Islamic State Get Close Scrutiny
- Gap Reports Higher Profits, India Plans
- James Foley Beheading Sparks Anger, Little Action
- McDonald's Names Another U.S. President
- International Revulsion Grows Over James Foley Death