The early weakness on
Nonetheless, traders seemed somewhat reluctant to make any significant moves amid a lack of traditionally market-moving catalysts.
Contributing to the lackluster close by the broader markets, most of the major sectors ended the day showing only modest moves.
Gold stocks saw significant strength, however, with the NYSE Arca Gold Bugs Index jumping by 2.3%. The strength in the sector came as gold for August delivery rose
Pharmaceutical stocks also saw some strength on the day, while weakness was visible among steel and commercial real estate stocks.
The major averages all ended the day near the unchanged line, showing moves of less than a tenth of a %. While the S&P 500 edged down 0.48 points to 1,950.79, the Dow inched up 2.82 points to 16,945.92 and the Nasdaq ticked up 1.75 points to 4,338.00.
Most Popular Stories
- National Retail Federation Reduces Sales Forecast
- Amazon Hiring on Calif.'s Central Coast
- Sporty Ford Fiesta Fires on All 3 Cylinders
- Prison Workers Wanted
- Pandora Tumbles in Late Trading
- Jennifer Lopez Throws Big Bash for Birthday
- Small Firms Take Out the Trash in Jersey
- Citigroup Unit Paying $5 Million to Settle SEC Charges
- Execs Help Entrepreneurs, Get Chevy Volts
- Obama Seeks Help From Central American Leaders