Most of the major sectors are showing only modest moves in mid-day trading, contributing to the lackluster performance by the broader markets.
Brokerage stocks continue to see notable weakness, however, with the NYSE Arca Broker/Dealer Index falling by 1.1%. The loss by the index comes after it ended the previous session at a two-month closing high.
Commercial real estate, airline, and computer hardware stocks are also seeing some weakness on the day, although selling pressure has waned from earlier in the session.
Meanwhile, gold stocks have shown a strong move to the upside, moving higher along with the price of the precious metal. With gold for August delivery climbing
Currently, the major averages are posting modest losses on the day. The Dow is down 11.78 points or 0.1% at 16,931.32, the Nasdaq is down 6.13 points or 0.1% at 4,330.11 and the S&P 500 is down 2.93 points or 0.2% at 1,948.34.
Most Popular Stories
- McDonald's Packages Coffee for National Distribution
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- James Foley Beheading Video Is Real Thing: White House
- Target Slashes Annual Profit Outlook
- Castro-Blanco Joins Fifth Street Finance Board
- Google Kid Accounts Plan Raises Worries
- Honda's Safe Approach Pays Off in Sales
- Ballmer Steps Down From Microsoft Board
- GE Healthcare Bringing Jobs to Massachusetts
- Islamic Militant in James Foley Beheading Video May Be English