Portable SIM incorporates three major modules: SIM card, Bluetooth® and NFC. The pocketsize mini device is expected to be incorporated in convenient wearable devices after further downsizing.
By simply waving Portable SIM next to a mobile device, the user's subscriber identity can be transmitted to the mobile device via Bluetooth, eliminating the need to physically insert a SIM card. Using this feature, for example, the smartphone user can switch their subscriber identity from a personal device to a shared tablet in the workplace. For security, the switched phone number in the smartphone is locked once the Bluetooth link is broken.
Portable SIM can securely store multiple credentials, such as IDs and passwords, so it also can be used with PCs and other connected devices to eliminate the need to type in such information when accessing online-shopping and other sites.
Going forward, DOCOMO will continue to study key technologies, functions and service applications before commercialization of the device. DOCOMO will also study ways to link Portable SIM and other smart devices, such as TVs, music players and in-car informatics systems, to bring convenient services and products to customers.
Most Popular Stories
- GE Healthcare Bringing Jobs to Massachusetts
- Faith Groups Divest From Fossil Fuels
- James Foley Beheading Video Is Real Thing: White House
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- Why BofA Won't Pay $17 Billion After All
- Obama Weighs Move on Legal Immigration
- Entrepreneur Contest Announced in Idaho
- Notes From the July FOMC Meeting
- Eric Holder Arrives in Ferguson
- Spiders Get Bigger, Reproduce Faster in Cities