The deal has been rumored for weeks and was confirmed by the search giant Tuesday. Apart from providing pictures and videos, Skybox also provides analytics with satellites that it designed from scratch and claims are the world's smallest high-resolution imaging satellites.
Skybox's images are so detailed that users can zoom down to less than a meter, making them very appealing to the agriculture, mining and insurance industries.
"We've agreed to acquire Skybox Imaging, and we look forward to welcoming them to
Most Popular Stories
- Steven Sotloff Beheading Video Claimed by Islamic State
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- Apple Planning to Launch Mobile Wallet
- Men Are the Big Winners in the Jobs Recovery
- Challenge to Texas Voter ID Begins
- Ford Is Finding Success With Its 'Unminivan'
- Durant Spurns Under Armour to Return to Nike
- Auto Industry Going Back to Bad Habits
- Health Care Hiring Up, Wages Down
- Netflix Unveils New Way to Share Picks