As the 2014 Electronics Entertainment Expo, or E3, opened Tuesday,
But the Japanese electronics maker is likely to face a tough challenge in the game business from U.S. software giant
"We will provide gamers the best place to play," said SCE President and Group CEO
SCE is hoping the games will replicate the kind of attention-grabbing titles that helped it steadily expand sales in the past.
On Monday, a new title of "Metal Gear Solid" by
SCE also presented a preview of a streaming game service dubbed PlayStation Now, which will offer games from
SCE is planning to make the service available to other devices including TVs as well as in
In April, SCE said PS4 sold 7 million units globally after its initial release in
Sony President and CEO
PlayStation was first released in 1994. The second generation machine, PS2, debuted in 2000 and sold more than 150 million units worldwide. The PS3 hit the market in 2006 and sold more than 80 million units.
While Sony is anticipating a
The U.S. company has lined up entertainment titles with a focus on auto racing, battles and adventure series -- genres appealing to gaming fanatics.
Although the PS4 has maintained an edge in initial sales, the jury is still out about whether SCE will continue to attract gamers away from the
Most Popular Stories
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Ted Cruz: Why Did FAA Ban Flights to Israel?
- Morgan Stanley Ponies Up $275 Million to Settle SEC Charges
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Risks of Layoffs Becoming Rarer in U.S.
- Weekly Jobless Claims Drop to Lowest Level in 8 Years
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment
- Ricky Martin Joins 'The Voice ... Mexico'
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Jennifer Lopez, Pitbull to Perform at Fashion Rocks