SB 206 creates a state-level version of the federal Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) and gives Attorney General
"Military servicemembers on active duty in the service of their state and country should not be distracted from their mission by worrying about legal proceedings back home," Biden said."I'm proud and grateful that the
The federal SCRA dates back to the Civil War and protects members of the military from having to defend themselves against most civil proceedings, such as foreclosure, while they are serving their country on active duty or are forced to move because of their military service. The federal SCRA also protects servicemembers who have to break leases or contracts due to military deployment.SB 206 incorporates these protections into a state law and extends them to members of the
"The current federal law establishes important protections for our service members," Townsend said. "The proposed legislation takes this protection a step forward, enabling
Examples of provisions of the federal SCRA that would be incorporated into State law through SB 206 include:
* Servicemembers cannot have default judgments entered against them because there are on active duty and civil proceedings must be stayed.
* Military men and women (who live off base) cannot have their homes foreclosed on while they're deployed on active duty and their mortgage interest rate, if higher than 6 percent, must be lowered to 6 percent.
* The SCRA requires the stay or vacation of execution of judgments, attachments and garnishments for deployed military members.
* Military personal cannot be being charged penalties, such as fines and fees, incurred under contracts due to military service.
This bill is the latest effort from Attorney
CC AutoTriage5rn-140509-30FurigayJane-4729554 30FurigayJane
Most Popular Stories
- Congress Passes Law Promoting Transparency Reconstruction of Haiti
- Desktop, Laptop Setups Still King
- Four DC Comics Properties Brought to TV Get Comic-Con Event
- UFC Fight Night Sees Robbie Lawler Win Unanimous Decision
- Plan to Simplify 2015 Health Renewals May Backfire
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy ' Sequel Slated for 2017
- Execs Help Entrepreneurs, Get Chevy Volts
- Shania Twain's Vegas residency ending after 110 shows
- Google Confirms $1B Acquisition of Twitch.tv
- Demand for Fair Trade Brings Big Opportunity, Clear Conscience