SB 206 creates a state-level version of the federal Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) and gives Attorney General
"Military servicemembers on active duty in the service of their state and country should not be distracted from their mission by worrying about legal proceedings back home," Biden said."I'm proud and grateful that the
The federal SCRA dates back to the Civil War and protects members of the military from having to defend themselves against most civil proceedings, such as foreclosure, while they are serving their country on active duty or are forced to move because of their military service. The federal SCRA also protects servicemembers who have to break leases or contracts due to military deployment.SB 206 incorporates these protections into a state law and extends them to members of the
"The current federal law establishes important protections for our service members," Townsend said. "The proposed legislation takes this protection a step forward, enabling
Examples of provisions of the federal SCRA that would be incorporated into State law through SB 206 include:
* Servicemembers cannot have default judgments entered against them because there are on active duty and civil proceedings must be stayed.
* Military men and women (who live off base) cannot have their homes foreclosed on while they're deployed on active duty and their mortgage interest rate, if higher than 6 percent, must be lowered to 6 percent.
* The SCRA requires the stay or vacation of execution of judgments, attachments and garnishments for deployed military members.
* Military personal cannot be being charged penalties, such as fines and fees, incurred under contracts due to military service.
This bill is the latest effort from Attorney
CC AutoTriage5rn-140509-30FurigayJane-4729554 30FurigayJane
Most Popular Stories
- National Retail Federation Reduces Sales Forecast
- Long-term Strengths Emerge in U.S. Economy
- Deported Honduran Families Face a Bleak Future
- Naya Rivera and Ryan Dorsey Are Married
- Social Media Startups That Pay You to Post
- Marco Rubio Swings Back to the Right
- Honda' s Accord Plug-in Hybrid Is a Fuel Miser
- Comic-Con Festival Kicks Off in San Diego
- Self-Induced Abortions Rise After Texas Closes Clinics
- 'There's a Chance' Bachmann Will Run for President in 2016