The open-source cloud computing project OpenStack is the cloud operating system of the future, according to
Predominantly acting as an infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) platform, OpenStack aims to provide the "ubiquitous open-source cloud computing platform for public and private clouds", according to its website. The platform has gained traction in recent years, Knoblich said in
"OpenStack is just crazy in the market. OpenStack is the cloud operating system of the future," he said.
"Because of this dilemma - with high demands on traditional infrastructures - companies want to have Amazon-type capabilities in-house."
Much of the drive behind OpenStack is currently coming from the telecommunications industry, Knoblich said. He likened the industry's transition to OpenStack to the IT industry's transition to virtualised technologies.
"The whole telecommunication industry decided as an industry on their platform for what they call network function virtualisation - what happened in IT with virtualisation is now starting to happen within the telco industry," he said.
"Today, when you go to an operator, they have many servers and appliances performing the core network functions for whatever you need for our mobiles functioning. They're sold in a very expensive way, as appliances. In all of this now is that there's a trend to completely virtualise this. The whole industry decided this will be done on OpenStack as the base platform."
That said, Knoblich explained that OpenStack was also beginning to see use among large enterprises looking to create scalable and reliable private clouds. The developer community is also extremely excited about OpenStack, he claimed.
"It's a super, super hot topic," he said.
Knoblich said that
"They see that this is so complex that it cannot be a single company who's providing this, so it's a more classic open-source project," Knoblich explained.
Most Popular Stories
- Congress Passes Law Promoting Transparency Reconstruction of Haiti
- UFC Fight Night Sees Robbie Lawler Win Unanimous Decision
- Four DC Comics Properties Brought to TV Get Comic-Con Event
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy ' Sequel Slated for 2017
- Plan to Simplify 2015 Health Renewals May Backfire
- Desktop, Laptop Setups Still King
- Shania Twain's Vegas residency ending after 110 shows
- Google Confirms $1B Acquisition of Twitch.tv
- Demand for Fair Trade Brings Big Opportunity, Clear Conscience
- Zillow in Reported $2B Bid for Real Estate Rival Trulia