"Electric reliability is a critical component of the success of our rural economy," Vilsack said. The loans "will help continue to ensure the safety, reliability and affordability of electric service in rural areas."
The funding is part of the Obama administration's vision for a new rural energy economy. "Investments in smart grid technologies help rural electric cooperatives improve system operations to meet the needs of rural customers," Vilsack said.
Most Popular Stories
- Homeowners More Satisfied With Mortgage Servicers
- House Shelves Immigration Bill, Goes on Vacation
- Why Samsung Shares Plunged in the April-June Quarter
- House GOP Leaders Abandon Immigrant Bill
- What Hamas and Israel Hope to Gain in Gaza
- Notorious RBG Tells All in Couric Interview
- NASA Plans to Make Oxygen on Mars
- Ford Tremor: Easy to Park, Hard to Pay For
- Wisconsin Supreme Court: Voter IDs Must Be Free
- Market Loses All of July's Gains in One Day