AMERICAN stocks fell sharply yesterday, with AIG pulling financial shares lower after disappointing earnings, and as a slide in
The Dow Jones industrial average fell 129.53 points or 0.78 per cent, to 16,401.02; the S&P 500 lost 16.94 points or 0.9 per cent, to 1,867.72; and the Nasdaq Composite dropped 57.296 points or 1.38 per cent, to 4,080.759.
The rout was in the busiest trading day for the stock so far as more than 134 million shares changed hands, above the near 118m shares traded on its debut. The 10-day volume average was just under 16m, just 1.2 per cent below its record close set a month ago.
Most Popular Stories
- National Retail Federation Reduces Sales Forecast
- Long-term Strengths Emerge in U.S. Economy
- Xavier Gutierrez Appointed to Bank Board
- Honda' s Accord Plug-in Hybrid Is a Fuel Miser
- Naya Rivera and Ryan Dorsey Are Married
- Amazon Fire Phone Improves on Familiar: Review
- Self-Induced Abortions Rise After Texas Closes Clinics
- Weekly Jobless Claims Drop to Lowest Level in 8 Years
- Marco Rubio Swings Back to the Right
- Comic-Con Festival Kicks Off in San Diego