Uhuru said a single currency will ensure faster economic growth for the region and called on the member countries to lay the necessary foundations for it to be achieved. He said the benefits of the EAC union will be achieved when all commitments under agreed protocols are implemented.
"We must work diligently to achieve a sustainable macro-economic convergence in terms of inflation, fiscal policies and exchange rate stability," Uhuru told the 12th EAC Extraordinary Summit of the Head of State in Arusha,
"This entails the most intense effort we can muster to make every East African aware of what is going on in their Community," he said.
He appreciated the sensitisations already undertaken in the five countries but added that more can be done to "ensure that the people of
The Community is now working towards a political federation, whose frameworks are being worked on, beginning with drafting a new constitution.
Most Popular Stories
- Florida Warns Beach-goers About Flesh-eating Bacteria
- Sutherland Responds to 'Unprofessional' Jibe
- LivePro is a Mobile Hot Spot, Projector in One
- Adrienne Bailon Disses Ex-Lover Rob Kardashian
- Business Leaders Set for CHCC Convention
- Is California Going to Land Tesla's Battery Plant?
- DishLATINO Wins Hispanic TV Award
- U.S. Economy Grows at Fastest Pace in 10 Years
- Twitter's Stock Rises on Stellar Revenues
- Beyonce Seen Apartment Shopping in NYC Without Jay Z