Tanzanian mobile network operator Tigo recently announced a partnership with
Tigo general manager
It was also announced that
Tigo Tanzania currently has over six million subscribers, and according to the company there are about two million Facebook users in the East African country of just under 50 million people.
There are benefits for both mobile operators and the social network to give people free access to
Mbwana Alliy, managing partner of
"This is about increasing internet usage in
According to Gutierrez, "
Tigo corporate communications manager, John Wanyancha, says the launch of the Facebook Kiswahili version on mobile "would lead to increased use of the service by Tanzanians who... hitherto could not access the service due to [the] language barrier".
Part of Internet.org initiative
The partnership with Tigo is part of
Giving people free access to
All rights reserved.
Most Popular Stories
- National Retail Federation Reduces Sales Forecast
- Desktop, Laptop Setups Still King
- Execs Help Entrepreneurs, Get Chevy Volts
- Demand for Fair Trade Brings Big Opportunity, Clear Conscience
- Shania Twain's Vegas residency ending after 110 shows
- Zillow in Reported $2B Bid for Real Estate Rival Trulia
- Google Confirms $1B Acquisition of Twitch.tv
- Sporty Ford Fiesta Fires on All 3 Cylinders
- Honda' s Accord Plug-in Hybrid Is a Fuel Miser
- Amazon Hiring on Calif.'s Central Coast