Minister of State (Finance)
TBPs would be structured to help ensure that effective, sustainable pension options are available to individuals who work in the federally regulated private sector or Crown corporations. Its innovative approach is intended to preserve and increase the number of employers that can offer employees an affordable workplace pension plan that has a predictable pension in retirement. The voluntary nature of the proposed framework means that all parties would be involved in the decision as to whether or not to adopt a TBP, and have a say in the design elements of the plan if they do.
The Harper Government recently launched public consultations on the proposed TBP framework. Canadians are invited to take part in the consultations over the coming months to ensure that the final framework reflects the views of all stakeholders. Individuals interested in finding out more or in submitting their views on the proposed framework should refer to the consultation paper listed below.
- There were 1,234 federally regulated pension plans in
- TBPs would promote plan viability through their ability to adjust benefits and contributions to ensure the target benefit is met and deal with surplus or deficit situations.
- TBPs would not have a solvency funding requirement because benefits are targeted and benefits and contributions adjustable.
- The proposed TBP framework would be a new and innovative pension option for federally regulated private sector or Crown corporation pension plans within
- The TBP framework consultations will not consider changes to federal public sector pension plans, which are governed by their own respective legislation. The Government has already taken steps to ensure that federal public sector pension plans are more in line with the private sector.
"It was great to have the opportunity to consult with the
- Harper Government Begins Consultations on a Potential Target Benefit Pension Plan Framework http://www.fin.gc.ca/n14/14-061-eng.asp - Consultation Paper: Pension Innovation for Canadians - The Target Benefit Plan http://www.fin.gc.ca/activty/consult/pic-impicc-eng.asp
- Frequently Asked Questions on Proposed Target Benefit Plan (TBP) Framework http://www.fin.gc.ca/afc/faq/tbp-rpc-eng.asp
TNS 18EstebanLiz-140506-30FurigayJane-4724677 30FurigayJane
Most Popular Stories
- National Retail Federation Reduces Sales Forecast
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Xavier Gutierrez Appointed to Bank Board
- Ted Cruz: Why Did FAA Ban Flights to Israel?
- Morgan Stanley Ponies Up $275 Million to Settle SEC Charges
- Honda' s Accord Plug-in Hybrid Is a Fuel Miser
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Long-term Strengths Emerge in U.S. Economy
- Risks of Layoffs Becoming Rarer in U.S.
- Weekly Jobless Claims Drop to Lowest Level in 8 Years