FNB said 53 percent, or R5.3 billion, was sent in the last year alone, between
"We have seen such strong growth in our eWallet solution in
"A challenge easily solved with FNB's eWallet solution," said
FNB's eWallet consumer service accounts for the majority of sends, R8,7 billion, while the bank's newer business solution, eWallet Pro, allows businesses to pay the unbanked through their cell number or a prepaid card, is starting to show significant growth as well.
eWallet Pro has proven popular in the construction, healthcare, insurance, education and agriculture industries.
According to FNB Gauteng eWallet users send and receive the lion's share of mobile money in the country with a 46 percent share, followed by
"We find that main urban centres tend to have higher usage because of population density and the fact that people use an eWallet for reasons other than sending money home, such as paying friends or purchasing airtime," added Steyn.
However, it is outside of the main cities that the real impact of using an eWallet for remittance is evident with money being withdrawn in outlying areas such as Butterworth in Eastern Cape and Hoedspruit in Limpopo.
eWallet is FNB's mobile money solution, allowing FNB customers to send money to anyone in
The recipient doesn't need a bank account and can access funds easily from any FNB ATM or Slimline ATM device.
eWallet Pro is an enterprise solution which allows FNB Business customers to make electronic payments to customers and employees instantaneously.
The solution allows for once-off or repeat payments to the recipient's cellphone number.
Most Popular Stories
- Congress Passes Law Promoting Transparency Reconstruction of Haiti
- Desktop, Laptop Setups Still King
- Four DC Comics Properties Brought to TV Get Comic-Con Event
- Execs Help Entrepreneurs, Get Chevy Volts
- UFC Fight Night Sees Robbie Lawler Win Unanimous Decision
- Plan to Simplify 2015 Health Renewals May Backfire
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy ' Sequel Slated for 2017
- Shania Twain's Vegas residency ending after 110 shows
- Demand for Fair Trade Brings Big Opportunity, Clear Conscience
- Google Confirms $1B Acquisition of Twitch.tv