The U.S. dollar was top-heavy in the upper
The euro was quoted at
The yen was bought for the dollar and the euro in the morning after data showed
"It wasn't much higher than the market was expecting, but it also wasn't lower, which means there's no reason to think (the
Monetary easing by a central bank generally causes its currency to weaken.
Low U.S. long-term interest rates continued to make the dollar less appealing after benchmark 10-year Treasury yields hit an 11-month low of 2.40 percent overnight.
"U.S. interest rates went (back) up some, but there are still factors that could bring them down such as the ECB, so there's still some hesitation" about buying the U.S. currency, said
The ECB is widely expected to implement further monetary easing measures to drag the eurozone out of persistently low inflation.
Data due out later Friday on U.S. personal consumer expenditures, a key indicator of inflation, are likely to show an increase in April and could drive U.S. interest rates back up, Moritani said.
Most Popular Stories
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- World Tensions Don't Curb Enthusiasm for Stocks
- U.K. Economy Surpasses Pre-Crisis Peak
- Morgan Stanley Ponies Up $275 Million to Settle SEC Charges
- Ricky Martin Joins 'The Voice ... Mexico'
- Jennifer Lopez, Pitbull to Perform at Fashion Rocks
- Visa, Amazon Results Drag Down the Street