Only a handful of freshmen enrolled in the program when it started, and by the end of the 2013 school year, the total number of majors grew to 18. Now, the number of students who will enter the program this fall has more than tripled.
Admission is becoming increasingly competitive for the growing program, Medcalf said.
"Students must audition to enter the program. This holds true for majors and minors. In February of 2014, we held our first audition and selected students with tremendous potential and talent. When we return in the fall of 2014, we have a total of 55 dance majors and minors," Medcalf said.
Medcalf said the program achieved another huge accomplishment when ASU dancers were selected as the
"We will perform at the national level at the National American College Dance Festival. The work, "The Need To Be," by assistant professor of dance
Medcalf, who dances professionally, said he started dance training at the age of 14 and has never stopped. He received his bachelor's degree in dance at the
When it comes to the students in ASU's dance program, Medcalf wants them to know there are no limits to what they can achieve.
"I tell students to stand in their own dreams and never measure their personal success by the success of the person standing next to them," he said. "Things are always difficult before they become easy. Through these lessons students learn about tenacity, the ability to tough something out and not give up. This is important because if you stay in the game long enough, you will succeed."
ASU is one of only two institutions of higher learning in the state of
"ASU's BFA/Dance program is one of the fastest growing programs on campus," Medcalf said. "The potential for the program's continued growth is extraordinary and exciting."
TNS 18DejucosGrace-140531-30FurigayJane-4752052 30FurigayJane
Most Popular Stories
- Congress Passes Law Promoting Transparency Reconstruction of Haiti
- UFC Fight Night Sees Robbie Lawler Win Unanimous Decision
- Four DC Comics Properties Brought to TV Get Comic-Con Event
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy ' Sequel Slated for 2017
- Plan to Simplify 2015 Health Renewals May Backfire
- Desktop, Laptop Setups Still King
- Shania Twain's Vegas residency ending after 110 shows
- Google Confirms $1B Acquisition of Twitch.tv
- Demand for Fair Trade Brings Big Opportunity, Clear Conscience
- Zillow in Reported $2B Bid for Real Estate Rival Trulia