ENP Newswire -
Release date- 28052014 - Literature lovers will be given an opportunity to discover an ancient form of writing in a new book about runes that will evaluate their significance in Viking culture and beyond.
Written by Dr
The book accompanies the 'Vikings: Life and Legend' exhibition at the
Dr Findell said: 'The book is a short, general introduction to a very complicated subject, which tries to show readers the wide range of uses that people had for runes, and the creativity of the people who wrote with them.
'Putting runes into a modern context, there is a chapter on the uses of runes in modern culture - especially in fantasy literature, film and video games. There's something about runes that captures people's imaginations, which I think reflects how modern people continue to reinvent and re-use the past.'
Visitors to the
The Viking Age lasted from 800AD - 1050AD and was a period of major change across
Illustrated with a range of beautiful objects that show the runic inscriptions in context, 'Runes' provides a glimpse into the languages and cultures of Europeans over a thousand years ago.
The exhibition will present personal objects, including jewellery, amulets and idols, which help to reveal more about how the Vikings saw themselves and their world. Exquisite objects, including the magnificent Vale of
Dr Findell added: 'It would be wrong to think runes are something essentially Viking: they were used long before the Viking period, in Scandinavia,
One such example is a brightly-painted replica of a large runestone from Jelling in
'Vikings: Life and Legend' is the first major exhibition on Vikings at the
Dr Findell's book 'Runes' is published by the
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- The Hip New Career? Farming
- McDonald's Names Another U.S. President
- Student Startup Develops Date-rape Detector
- Sahara Casino Rises Anew as SLS Las Vegas
- Is Diversity in the Eye of the Beholder?
- Chinese Coal Gas Boom Poses Climate Risks
- Job Market Shifts Complicate Yellen's Rate Decision
- U.S. Supporters of Islamic State Get Close Scrutiny
- Dems Losing Fear of Obamacare