CONCORD, Mass., May 29 -- The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers New England District issued the following news release:
Construction activities continue on Phase 1 of the $30.9 million Muddy River Flood Risk Management and Environmental Restoration project in Boston, Massachusetts. On Monday, June 2, temporary night-time work will begin at Brookline Avenue and the intersection of Brookline Avenue and Fenway to install pipe taps in the new relocated 12" waterline. These taps are necessary in order to chlorinate the waterline before it is put into service and these tap locations are based on specified requirements and cannot be relocated to another location. In order to avoid impact to vehicular traffic flow during the day, this temporary night-time work is necessary. The expected duration of the night-time work is 1 week.
Details concerning this night-time work are as follows:
* Night work to start on June 2nd.
* Hours will be from 8 p.m. to 7 a.m.
* Police detail will be provided for the duration of night time work.
* Vehicular lane closure of Brookline Avenue and detouring of traffic around the excavation and work area - one pit will be excavated and tap installed per night.
* Vehicular lane closure of Brookline Avenue and Fenway and detouring of traffic around the excavation and work area - one pit will be excavated and tap installed per night.
* Excavation of roadway; installation of 1-inch diameter taps; injection of chlorine; backfilling and paving.
* Use of an excavator and pump for these work activities - no jack-hammering is expected
* Before rush hour traffic, the site will be restored daily for vehicular traffic with steel plate or asphalt across the pit depending on timing and stage of the task.
These activities are necessary in order to put the new relocated 12-inch waterline into service. We will do all we can to minimize impacts to the public during these activities.
For Muddy River project construction updates visit the website at: http://www.nae.usace.army.mil/Missions/ProjectsTopics/MuddyRiver.aspx.
If you have questions contact Project Manager Jennifer Flanagan at MuddyRiver@usace.army.mil or call 978-318-8015.
TNS 30FurigayJane-140430-4750871 30FurigayJane