In economic news, first-time claims for US unemployment benefits fell much more than expected in the week ended
Meanwhile, US gross domestic product declined in the first three months of 2014, primarily reflecting a downward revision to private inventory investment, a
Gold for August delivery, the most actively traded contract, slipped
Gold for August delivery scaled an intraday high of
On Wednesday, gold futures ended at a 3-1/2-month low, impacted by a strong dollar after some upbeat economic data.
The dollar index, which tracks the US unit against six major currencies, traded at 80.48 on Thursday, down from its previous close of 80.55 late Wednesday in North American trade. The dollar scaled a high of 80.56 intraday and a low of 80.36.
The euro traded higher against the dollar at
In economic news, revised government figures showed the US economy to have contracted by 1% in the first quarter, registering its biggest decline in three years. Economists expected revised figures to show a contraction of about 0.6%.
Meanwhile, personal Consumption Expenditure in the US rose 3.1% in the first quarter, up from 3.0% in the previous quarter.
Data from the
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- Is Diversity in the Eye of the Beholder?
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- Investors Betting on ECB Stimulus Measures
- 'Mythbusters' Build Team Gets the Boot
- Jennifer Lopez Would Marry Again
- Florida Judge Rules in Favor of GOP Voter Map
- Mo'Ne Davis a Big Winner Despite Loss
- DHS Warns Retailers About Malware in Cash Registers
- Hackers Get Homeland Security Employee Records