Glazer took over United in a 2005 leveraged buyout, loading 525 million pounds (
It has cost 680 million pounds to service the debt, while the club remains 389 million pounds in the red.
Fans have repeatedly expressed anger at the terms of the takeover, which many blame of a lack of investment in the transfer market.
Glazer had given up his holding in United to his sons, and his death is not expected to impact the running of the club.
"The thoughts of everyone at United are with the family tonight," a United spokesperson said.
Most Popular Stories
- Hernandez lawyer: Pats Records Dispute Resolved
- Congress Leaving Town as Deadlines Loom
- Oregon Voters to Decide on Recreational Pot
- 4th Circuit Upholds Obamacare Subsidies
- Fiat, Renault Strike Deal on New Light Vehicle
- Oregon to Vote on Recreational Marijuana
- Senate, House Locking Horns on Border Funds
- A's Agree to 10-Year Lease to Stay in Oakland
- LinkedIn to Buy Ad Tech Company Bizo for $175 Million
- Jeter, Bauer Give Fox a Strong Week in TV Ratings