While the European elections have focused, in many countries, on immigration, little attention has been paid to an issue which has seen the European project facing an existential threat - the failure to establish sound fiscal fundamentals, including high quality fiscal information based on international standards for financial reporting and auditing.
Not all governments are equal, whether in the quality of the financial information they produce, the quality of their fiscal decisions, or their resulting fiscal condition. In the absence of good information, markets and voters have been, and remain in, a poor position to understand the real fiscal condition of member states.
The financial condition of many European governments prior to the crisis was already fragile, the subsequent bailouts have exacerbated the situation, leaving the
CIPFA remains concerned that even if there is recognition of the need for action, there is a risk that the reform process will be too slow and will result in accounting standards that do not meet the international benchmark.
CIPFA therefore reiterates the call it has made for urgent action, and advocates that the new
CIPFA Chief Executive,
"Despite the financial instability caused by the sovereign debt crisis, and the significant social and economic costs it generated, little action has been taken to address the issues which helped trigger the crisis - the quality of accounting and auditing by the Greek Government. Despite the success of the bailouts in calming the crisis, little or nothing has been done to improve the poor quality of public financial management in these areas, in either
"CIPFA therefore calls on the new Commission and Parliament to act urgently to prevent further crisis. Confidence in financial management by governments cannot be restored without significant improvements in accounting and auditing by many, or most, member states."
CC AutoTriage13cn-140527-30TagarumaMar-4747789 30TagarumaMar
Most Popular Stories
- McDonald's Packages Coffee for National Distribution
- Castro-Blanco Joins Fifth Street Finance Board
- HTC Makes Windows Version of Flagship One Phone
- Ballmer Steps Down From Microsoft Board
- Eric Holder Bringing Civil Rights Reminders to Ferguson
- Rising Freight Prices Signal Global Recovery
- Uber Hires Obama Campaign Manager David Plouffe
- Bob Marley Musical to Make Premiere in Baltimore
- Sprint Cancels Framily, Rolls Out New Data Pricing Plan
- Russia Claims Ukraine Leaders Are Satanists, Jews or Maybe Even Scientologists