The loonie was up 0.06 of a cent to
Orders for core capital goods, a category viewed as a good proxy for business investment plans, fell 1.2 per cent in April.
Traders will also take in the latest reading on American consumer confidence later in the morning.
As far as the Canadian currency is concerned, traders are particularly interested in seeing how the economy performed in the first three months of the year. Statistics
That data is of particular concern, coming out days before the Bank of
Also, traders will be looking for the latest U.S. data to see if the U.S. economy actually contracted in the first quarter when the first revision to U.S. gross domestic product data is released Thursday. The initial report showed growth coming in at a paltry 0.1 per cent as severe winter weather impacted the economy, but markets are braced for a worse reading.
Prices were mixed on commodity markets as July crude in
June bullion was down
Markets are also keeping a wary eye on developments in
Russia’s acceptance of billionaire businessman Petro Poroshenko as Ukrainian president had raised hopes for an easing of tensions. But hours after he was declared the victor, pro-Russian rebels escalated the Ukrainian conflict by occupying a major airport in the country’s east and
Most Popular Stories
- McDonald's Packages Coffee for National Distribution
- Castro-Blanco Joins Fifth Street Finance Board
- HTC Makes Windows Version of Flagship One Phone
- Ballmer Steps Down From Microsoft Board
- Rising Freight Prices Signal Global Recovery
- Eric Holder Bringing Civil Rights Reminders to Ferguson
- Sprint Cancels Framily, Rolls Out New Data Pricing Plan
- Uber Hires Obama Campaign Manager David Plouffe
- Russia Claims Ukraine Leaders Are Satanists, Jews or Maybe Even Scientologists
- Bob Marley Musical to Make Premiere in Baltimore