In the first 15 minutes of trading, the 225-issue Nikkei Stock Average rose 97.95 points, or 0.68 percent, from Friday to 14,560.12, after briefly hitting 14,592.60, its highest intraday level since
The market was underpinned by the yen's further depreciation against the U.S. dollar, with export-oriented high-tech shares drawing buying. Other major gainers included brokerage, shipping and steel shares.
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- The Hip New Career? Farming
- McDonald's Names Another U.S. President
- Student Startup Develops Date-rape Detector
- Sahara Casino Rises Anew as SLS Las Vegas
- Is Diversity in the Eye of the Beholder?
- Chinese Coal Gas Boom Poses Climate Risks
- U.S. Supporters of Islamic State Get Close Scrutiny
- Job Market Shifts Complicate Yellen's Rate Decision
- Dems Losing Fear of Obamacare