WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama says the U.S. must work harder to make sure veterans get the opportunities and benefits they have earned.
In his weekly radio and Internet address, Obama is drawing a connection between Memorial Day and the scandal over allegations of misconduct at Veterans Affairs hospitals.
Obama says recent weeks have shown how much more the U.S. must do to ensure veterans get the care they deserve. He says it's a sacred obligation and one of the causes of his presidency.
Obama faces growing pressure over allegations of treatment delays and preventable deaths at VA hospitals.
In the Republican address, congressman Bill Shuster of Pennsylvania is promoting a Republican water projects bill that Congress passed this week. He says it demonstrates Republicans' focus on jobs and government accountability.
Obama address: www.whitehouse.gov
GOP address: www.gop.gov
Most Popular Stories
- National Retail Federation Reduces Sales Forecast
- Desktop, Laptop Setups Still King
- Execs Help Entrepreneurs, Get Chevy Volts
- Demand for Fair Trade Brings Big Opportunity, Clear Conscience
- Shania Twain's Vegas residency ending after 110 shows
- Zillow in Reported $2B Bid for Real Estate Rival Trulia
- Google Confirms $1B Acquisition of Twitch.tv
- Sporty Ford Fiesta Fires on All 3 Cylinders
- Honda' s Accord Plug-in Hybrid Is a Fuel Miser
- Amazon Hiring on Calif.'s Central Coast