THE Mackintosh building at In 1896, the city firm of Honeyman and Keppie submitted a design from one of their junior draughtsmen,
The first half of the building was completed in 1899 and the second half 10 years later. The 1909 intake of 1000 students - full and part-time - produced artists, draughtsmen, designers, architects and painters.
More than a century after it opened,
It is also increasingly seen as an important architectural monument in its own right and is an A-listed building.
With growing interest in Mackintosh and
It is home to an extensive range of furniture and fittings, watercolours and architectural drawings by the architect who gave it his name. The school also owns a substantial collection of work by former staff and students and a large archive.
In 2007, a rolling programme of work, costing pound(s)8.7 million, began to upgrade the historic building.
Administration offices were moved and restored as studio spaces, extra gallery space was added and its archive was extended and preserved.
In 2009, the year of its centenary, a nationwide poll by the Royal Institute of
It won ahead of the Pompidou Centre in
"Damage to a building of such immense significance and uniqueness is an international tragedy. It is irreplaceable.
"The RIBA joins our colleagues in
"It is too early to talk about what happens now, but the institute will do anything it can to help in any way."
THE Mackintosh building at
In 1896, the city firm of Honeyman and Keppie submitted a design from one of their junior draughtsmen,