Garneau responded to comments and questions from two
It claims two auditors made errors and one was in a conflict because he is a supporter of
Resolute is seeking
"We are disappointed that Resolute has resorted to these measures," it said in a news release.
He called the legal attack on auditors regressive, counterproductive and harmful to the company's reputation and a deliberate attempt to bury the report from public scrutiny.
"They're embarrassed. They're about to fail a fourth certificate and they don't want it to go public.... A student who fails and exam should do his homework, not sue the professor and that's exactly what they just did," he said in an interview.
"It was alarming and would cause immediate reputational and business damage and so we felt this was an extraordinary situation, we are the first to admit it, but the nature of the report was extraordinary and that is the reason why we were compelled to take the step that we did."
"If I was an auditor I would be really scared, I would be really nervous that even if you're going to do your job properly that you might get sued," she said.
"I think, because this goes so far beyond just a run of the mill private dispute and raises a superordinate public interest issue — that of environmental protection — that the government does have a role, that the government would be legally entitled to seek to intervene in this case," he said from
A ministry spokeswoman said the department wouldn't comment because the parties are involved in litigation.
FSC Canada president
Although Resolute's legal challenge is believed to be the first anywhere in the world, he doesn't believe it will ultimately damage the FSC brand.
"It's an extraordinary situation for us but I'm convinced that when we turn the page on this it will demonstrate the value of the FSC system," he said in an interview.
Follow @RossMarowits on
Most Popular Stories
- Islamic State Obliterating Cultural Landmarks in Mosul
- The 2014 Fastest-Growing 100
- 'Lucy's' Super Powers Tops 'Hercules' at Box Office
- Boehner Says Impeachment Talk Is Democrat Scam
- You're So Vain: Microsoft to Launch First 'Selfie Phone'
- U.S. Home Price Gains Slow for 6th Month in a Row
- VW Site Could Mean Another 2,000 Jobs for Chattanooga
- RV Sales See Highest Increase Post Great Recession
- Merck Profit More Than Doubles in Q2
- Report: China to Declare Qualcomm a Monopoly