The Canadian dollar rose 0.05 of a cent to
U.S. futures were around the unchanged mark after racking up strong gains Wednesday in the wake of the release of minutes from the late April Federal Reserve meeting which reinforced expectations the U.S. central bank wonít rush to raise interest rates.
The Dow Jones industrial futures climbed five points to 16,504, the Nasdaq futures slipped two points to 3,635.5, while the S&P 500 futures dipped 0.5 of a point to 1,884.4.
Royal Bankís quarterly net earnings were up 15 per cent from a year ago to
And TD reported quarterly net income of
Meanwhile, Chinaís manufacturing contraction eased in May, as HSBCís preliminary purchasing managers' index rose to 49.7 in May from 48.1 in April. Numbers above 50 on the 100-point scale indicate expansion.
"The China HSBC 'flash' PMI is the strongest sign yet that growth is improving," observed a commentary from
Analysts also say that the improvements in both surveys suggest the governmentís targeted measures to support the economy are moderating the pace of the slowdown.
Elsewhere on the earnings front, electronics seller
Sears Holdings Corp.ís first-quarter loss widened to
On the commodity markets, copper prices rose in the wake of the Chinese manufacturing data with the July contract up
June bullion gained
July crude slipped a dime to
Most Popular Stories
- McDonald's Packages Coffee for National Distribution
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- James Foley Beheading Video Is Real Thing: White House
- Target Slashes Annual Profit Outlook
- Castro-Blanco Joins Fifth Street Finance Board
- Google Kid Accounts Plan Raises Worries
- Honda's Safe Approach Pays Off in Sales
- Ballmer Steps Down From Microsoft Board
- GE Healthcare Bringing Jobs to Massachusetts
- Islamic Militant in James Foley Beheading Video May Be English