The Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute expects its events and awards gala -- and legendary rockers Los Lobos -- to draw more than 3,000 Hispanic leaders from across the country to its events celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month this fall.
CHCI on Wednesday announced the theme Building Our Future, Together for its 37th annual Hispanic Heritage Month celebration, slated for Sept. 30-Oct. 2 in Washington, D.C..
"This year's theme and events reflect the growing strength of our community and the tremendous impact Latinos will have on the future success of America," Esther Aguilera, CHCI president and CEO, said in a news release.
Los Lobos will perform at the awards gala on Oct. 2. The multiple Grammy Award-winning band's repertoire spans rock and roll, Tex-Mex, folk, R&B, blues, brown-eyed soul and traditional music such as cumbia, boleros and norteños.
CHCI kicks off its 2014 Hispanic Heritage Month events with its annual Public Policy Conference at the Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center on Sept. 30-Oct. 1.
U.S. Rep. Rubén Hinojosa, CHCI's chairman, will be joined by Congressional Hispanic Caucus members, administration officials, and national experts and scholars to discuss policy issues affecting the Hispanic community.
The popular Reyes of Comedy event takes place on Oct. 1. The evening will showcase veteran Hispanic comics as well as emerging talent. This year's event is a sponsor benefit only, with all proceeds going to support CHCI's youth leadership development programs.
The awards gala, the conference's premier event, should draw some 2,000 guests, elected officials, corporate officers, nonprofit leaders and celebrities to honor Hispanic leaders who contribute to the Hispanic community.
Hispanic Heritage Month takes place Sept. 15 - Oct. 15.
The CHCI board of directors is composed of Hispanic members of Congress and nonprofit, unions and corporate leaders.
Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute contributed.
Most Popular Stories
- Congress Passes Law Promoting Transparency Reconstruction of Haiti
- UFC Fight Night Sees Robbie Lawler Win Unanimous Decision
- Desktop, Laptop Setups Still King
- Four DC Comics Properties Brought to TV Get Comic-Con Event
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy ' Sequel Slated for 2017
- Plan to Simplify 2015 Health Renewals May Backfire
- Shania Twain's Vegas residency ending after 110 shows
- Execs Help Entrepreneurs, Get Chevy Volts
- Google Confirms $1B Acquisition of Twitch.tv
- Demand for Fair Trade Brings Big Opportunity, Clear Conscience