A meeting of the
Council officials offered conflicting information regarding a loan of over
It was estimated that about
The mayor told councillors that part of the loan had been used to buy 25 luxury vehicles, including
"What may be of more importance to us is prioritization. With the Council cash constrained in a number of areas, particularly with water itself, the need for motor vehicles, even if provided for by the contract itself, I think has to be moderated by a sense of priority," Mayor Manyenyeni explained, adding that this was a natural expectation of the residents of
The Chinese deal was signed for by the then mayor
The mayor confirmed reports that the town clerk had not attended the Thursday meeting because he was ill and had been hospitalized. Some councillors had alleged that Mahachi failed to attend because he knew that he would be questioned about the vehicle purchases.
Mayor Manyenyeni said the project to repair the water treatment plant is already underway. He added that he had visited project sites to inspect the work for himself on Saturday and concluded that an independent project engineer and manager was needed.
The use of water from unsafe boreholes and other sources has seen an outbreak of water borne diseases that remain a constant threat to
Most Popular Stories
- Neighbor Warns Chris Brown to Stay Off His Property
- Venezuelan Officials Banned From Traveling in U.S.
- Homeowners More Satisfied With Mortgage Servicers
- WWE Showing Off Its Muscles
- As Jobs Market Strengthens, Many Don't Feel It
- Ford Tremor: Easy to Park, Hard to Pay For
- Adrienne Bailon Disses Ex-Lover Rob Kardashian
- Target Taps Pepsi Exec as New CEO
- Hispanic Arts Leaders Unite Across the Border
- Islamic State Fights for Control of Syrian Oil Wealth