GPS IIF-6 successfully launched from
"Today's successful launch demonstrates our combined government and industry team's dedication to mission success, ensuring GPS continues to be the gold standard for space based positioning, navigation, and timing," said Col.
GPS provides accurate real time position, navigation and timing services and plays a major role in information resources supporting a variety of civil, scientific and commercial functions on land, sea and air. Operated by U.S. Air Force Space Command, the GPS constellation provides precise services worldwide 24-hours a day, and the Air force is committed to providing improved capabilities to ensure users around the globe receive the maximum benefits provided by GPS.
"I want to recognize the tireless efforts of the 45th and 50th Space wings,
GPS has led to greatly enhanced farming, survey/mapping, telecommunications, banking and other financial transactions, officials said It supports more efficient electrical power distribution, internet service, mass transit, and recreational activities. GPS has improved the understanding of our environment to include climate change, endangered species tracking, earthquakes and volcanoes. It is also vital to first responders in emergencies and disaster relief operations worldwide. Additional uses include monitoring sea level changes, engineering surveys and scientific applications that require precise position determination.
(Courtesy of Air Force Space Command Public Affairs)
Most Popular Stories
- Sutherland Responds to 'Unprofessional' Jibe
- Florida Warns Beach-goers About Flesh-eating Bacteria
- Business Leaders Set for CHCC Convention
- DishLATINO Wins Hispanic TV Award
- Is California Going to Land Tesla's Battery Plant?
- Twitter's Stock Rises on Stellar Revenues
- Beyonce Seen Apartment Shopping in NYC Without Jay Z
- Ebola Outbreak Strikes Fear in Minnesota
- Judge Orders Kurdistan Oil Seized
- U.S. Consumer Confidence at Strongest Since 2007