News Column

New Hanover awarded $1.8 million grant to manage Head Start

May 2, 2014

By Wayne Faulkner, Star-News, Wilmington, N.C.



May 02--New Hanover County Schools has been awarded a $1.8 million grant to manage the county's Head Start program.

Under the HUD grant, the school system will provide services to 260 economically disadvantaged children at the Dorothy B. Johnson Pre-Kindergarten Center, 1100 McRae St.

The district will provide an additional $464,025 in-kind contribution to support the program.

The school system said it plans to have the program operating by June 1.

The Head Start program was previously operated by New Hanover County Community Action Inc. and subsequently by the federally contracted transition agency Community Development Institute, or CDI.

CDI said in an April filing with the state that it planned to lay off 48 employees, among them 15 teachers and 13 teacher assistants.

At the time, it wasn't clear whether those employees would be in line to get their jobs back when a new grantee was chosen.

District spokeswoman Valita Quattlebaum said Friday that she didn't know who would be hired for the Head Start program, adding that anybody qualified is welcome to apply.

In a news release, the district said it will work closely with CDI to ensure a smooth transition for the children and families being served.

Wayne Faulkner: 343-2329

On Twitter.com: @bizniznews

___

(c)2014 the Star-News (Wilmington, N.C.)

Visit the Star-News (Wilmington, N.C.) at www.starnewsonline.com

Distributed by MCT Information Services


For more stories on investments and markets, please see HispanicBusiness' Finance Channel



Source: Star-News (Wilmington, NC)


Story Tools






HispanicBusiness.com Facebook Linkedin Twitter RSS Feed Email Alerts & Newsletters