A 2013 pilot program funding research collaboration between Children's Hospital Colorado-
The recipients and their projects are:
The 2013 research has already led to further funding and the intent to collaborate further.
"Growth plate cartilage injuries have devastating consequences to the growth of young children. The overall goal of this proposal was to engineer a novel delivery system that can regenerate the growth plate and prevent significant life-long orthopedic problems," said Krebs, noting the success of such a therapy would not only be beneficial to growth plate injuries due to trauma, but can be further applied to growth plate disruptions due to osteosarcoma or infection as well as other clinical applications.
"The funding provided by this program was very valuable for us in establishing a strong collaboration and allowing us to obtain substantial preliminary data," said Krebs.
Krebs was awarded an NSF BRIGE grant (
Bone is one of the most transplanted tissues, second to blood, but current treatment options have significant drawbacks. The research by Boyes and Strubel aims to bridge the gap between the need for, and the current lack of, ideal bone grafting materials using polymers.
"I am currently on sabbatical at the
"The ultimate goal of this collaboration is to use microfluidic models of pulmonary airways to test therapeutic strategies," said Neeves.
The lung-on-a-chip device developed by Neeves and Ahmad could help the medical community identify better treatment options for those afflicted with cystic fibrosis; a chronic, inherited disease that affects the lungs and digestive systems of more than 70,000 people worldwide.
TNS 30TagarumaMar-140503-4723797 30TagarumaMar
Most Popular Stories
- Hernandez lawyer: Pats Records Dispute Resolved
- Honda' s Accord Plug-in Hybrid Is a Fuel Miser
- National Retail Federation Reduces Sales Forecast
- Congress Leaving Town as Deadlines Loom
- Oregon Voters to Decide on Recreational Pot
- Social Media Startups That Pay You to Post
- 4th Circuit Upholds Obamacare Subsidies
- Oregon to Vote on Recreational Marijuana
- Fiat, Renault Strike Deal on New Light Vehicle
- A's Agree to 10-Year Lease to Stay in Oakland