May 01--OTTUMWA -- Enjoy the music, food and nature of southern Iowa with any of the diverse activities planned for this weekend. Take in a show, have breakfast for a good cause and find everything you need to plant your garden. You can even cheer on your favorite kickball team and tour the renovations going on downtown. There's a little something for everybody.
1. Be transported back in time by the music of the '50s, '60s and '70s with the Bronx Wanderers at 7:30 p.m. Friday at the Sondheim Center for the Performing Arts in Fairfield. Tap into the infectious energy of the music that skyrocketed classics like "American Graffiti," "Happy Days" and "A Bronx Tale" to immediate success. This father and his two sons will make you part of the "famiglia" during their one-of-a-kind show. For ticket information, call 641-472-2787.
2. The Agency Fire and Rescue will be hosting breakfast from 6-9 a.m. Saturday at the fire house. The menu includes scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, pancakes, juice, milk and coffee. This is the same day as the Agency citywide garage sale, so eat up before you shop.
3. Spruce up your home and yard this weekend by attending the annual Laureate Guild plant sale from 8 a.m. to noon in Ottumwa'sCentral Park. Hanging plants, bedding and vegetable plants, perennials, container plantings and grasses will all be available. There will also be children's activities and entertainment by local music students. Proceeds will go to the Ottumwa Public Library. For more information, call 641-777-0894.
4. The teams are set, so come watch the competition as the Ottumwa Noon Lions sponsor their adult coed kickball tournament beginning at 9 a.m. Saturday in Greater Ottumwa Park at the softball fields at the intersection of Hwys 34 and 149. Cash prizes will be awarded to the top three teams in this double-elimination tournament. Food and beverages will be sold on site. For more information, call 405-614-0799 ext. 4056.
5. See the before, during and after stages of several downtown Ottumwa buildings during Upstairs Downtown Saturday. Explore spaces at 301 W. Main St. (The Cigar Factory), 228 E. Main St. (former Indigo Cool building), 227 E. Main St. (former Capri and Capitol Theaters), 331 E. Main St. (Market on Main), and 226 E. Second St. Begin anywhere along the route and tour as many as you'd like between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. Tickets can be purchased at Main Street Ottumwa, Little Bake Shop and Hotel Ottumwa. For more information, call 641-799-3464.
(c)2014 the Ottumwa Courier (Ottumwa, Iowa)
Visit the Ottumwa Courier (Ottumwa, Iowa) at www.ottumwacourier.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services