In a joint statement on Friday, the companies said the settlement does not include a cross-licence to their respective patents.
Apple and companies that make phones using
Apple has battled
But it has been unable to slow Android's ascendancy, which is now installed on an estimated 80% of new phones sold every year. Motorola, the US company that pioneered the mobile phone, no longer ranks among the biggest smartphone makers.
Both Motorola and HTC have been eclipsed by Chinese Android adopters such as
The most high-profile case between Apple and Motorola began in 2010. Motorola accused Apple of infringing several patents, including one essential to how cellphones operate on a 3G network, while Apple said Motorola violated its patents to certain smartphone features.
The cases were consolidated in a
Apple's biggest victory against Android came against Samsung, where US juries have awarded Apple more than $1 billion in damages. Those verdicts are on appeal, and despite years of court challenges to Android, Apple has not been able to win a crippling sales injunction.
Most Popular Stories
- National Retail Federation Reduces Sales Forecast
- Pandora Tumbles in Late Trading
- Sporty Ford Fiesta Fires on All 3 Cylinders
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- World Tensions Don't Curb Enthusiasm for Stocks
- Russia Fears Lasting Damage From Ukraine Crisis
- Visa, Amazon Results Drag Down the Street
- U.K. Economy Surpasses Pre-Crisis Peak
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe