May 15--Despite the cooler temps right now, Grand Haven's "season" is definitely heating up this weekend, May 16-18.
That's evident in that there are way too many fun events going on to narrow down to just five. Thus, an honorable mention of several more events follows this week's Top 5.
(1) Great Lakes Kite Festival -- All weekend at Grand Haven State Park Beach, 1001 S. Harbor Ave. The festival starts with a "casual fly" from 4-6 p.m. Friday. The annual Indoor Fly is 7-8 p.m. Friday at White Pines Middle School gym, 1400 S. Griffin St., Grand Haven. The festival takes off 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday with demonstrations, choreographed routines and much more. Visit www.mackite.com/glskc.htm for details.
(2) Historic Home Tour -- 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and 1-4 p.m. Sunday in Spring Lake. Tickets are $10 for a tour wristband, and available at each of the eight homes on the tour and at Tri-Cities Historical Museum, 200 Washington Ave., Grand Haven.
(3) "Almost, Maine" -- 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and 2 p.m. Sunday, at Grand Haven High School Performing Arts Center, 17001 Ferris St., Grand Haven Township. Tickets: $10, $8 for students and senior citizens.
(4) Pet-A-Palooza -- 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday at Harbor Island, Grand Haven. Animal rescues, local vendors, food and auctions.
(5) Lamont Festival -- 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at 4521 Leonard Road, Lamont. Car show, tractor show, arts and crafts, river cruises ($6 adults, $3 children), live music and parade. All proceeds go toward improving the community park. Visit www.lamontonthegrand.com/ for the schedule.
Free Dental Care -- 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday at Smile Grand Haven/Little Smiles, 1203 S. Beechtree St.; Bowen & Thornley, 17000 Robbins Road, Grand Haven; and Signature Smiles, 110 Dewitt Lane, Spring Lake. Registration begins 7 a.m. Patients will be seen on a first-come, first-served basis. Services offered include cleaning, fillings, extractions.
Waterfront Wedding Expo -- 12-3 p.m. Saturday at Holiday Inn, 940 W. Savidge, Spring Lake. Admission: $5.
Bluegrass Band Calabogie Road -- 2-3 p.m. Sunday at Loutit District Library (Upper Lobby), 407 Columbus Ave., Grand Haven. Admission is free.
Music by the Fireplace: David Rucks -- 3-4 p.m. Sunday at Spring Lake District Library, 123 E. Exchange St. Admission is free.
Hymn Sing Festival -- 4-5:30 p.m. Sunday at First Presbyterian Church, 508 Franklin Ave., Grand Haven. Also featured are a Handbell Choir, Children's Choir and the First Congregational Church Shema Choir. A freewill offering will be taken.
"Anne of Green Gables" -- The Central Park Players' production continues for a second weekend. Performances are at 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday at Lakeshore Middle School Auditorium, 900 Cutler St., Grand Haven. Tickets: $10.
Did I still miss something? Let us know about it in the comment section below.
(c)2014 the Grand Haven Tribune (Grand Haven, Mich.)
Visit the Grand Haven Tribune (Grand Haven, Mich.) at www.grandhaventribune.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services