For 40 years,
Speaking to The New Times,
"More than 250 kilometres of highway and feeder roads have been constructed, rehabilitated or improved to help entrepreneurs improve access to markets. We have tried to ensure a good transport network within
"So far, two one-stop-border posts have been set up (near
The partnership between the Bank and
The Bank has also supported the promotion of science and technology in the country by extending support to institutions such as
The private sector has also been a beneficiary of the partnership.
"Sixty-four private sector SME's have been supported, creating about 4000 new jobs with almost 1,200 of the beneficiaries being women," Makonnen said.
To further see the development of the private sector, there has been a sector loan targeting methane exploration in contributing to cheaper renewable energy.
Finance and Economic Planning minister Claver Gatete said AfDB also supports the
Through the programme, about 74,000 people have so far acquired technical and vocational skills.
The minister said the largest share of the Bank's support has been allocated to infrastructure, which took up 31.7 per cent, followed by Agriculture which took 24.9 per cent.
Social sector has accounted for 17.1 per cent, while finance, industry, communications and environment took 5.2 per cent.
Makonnen said working with
Both Makonnen and Minister Gatete said in the long-term, they hoped the Bank will serve as an effective development partner in the second economic development and poverty reduction strategy through support in transport, energy, private sector and youth employment areas.
Most Popular Stories
- Sutherland Responds to 'Unprofessional' Jibe
- Florida Warns Beach-goers About Flesh-eating Bacteria
- Business Leaders Set for CHCC Convention
- DishLATINO Wins Hispanic TV Award
- Twitter's Stock Rises on Stellar Revenues
- Ebola Outbreak Strikes Fear in Minnesota
- Judge Orders Kurdistan Oil Seized
- Beyonce Seen Apartment Shopping in NYC Without Jay Z
- Is California Going to Land Tesla's Battery Plant?
- U.S. Consumer Confidence at Strongest Since 2007