Worries over possible supply disruptions from
Oil futures gained about 2% for the week.
Light Sweet Crude Oil futures for June delivery, the most actively traded contract, gained
Crude prices for June delivery scaled a high of
The dollar index, which tracks the US unit against six major currencies, traded at 80.03 on Friday, up from its previous close of 80.02 late Thursday in North American trade. The dollar scaled a high of 80.12 intraday and a low of 79.97.
The euro traded lower against the dollar at
In economic news from the US, housing starts surged by a better than expected 13.2% to an annual rate of 1.072 million in April from the revised March estimate of 947,000. Economists expected housing starts to climb to a rate of 980,000 from the 946,000 originally reported for the previous week.
Building permits, an indicator of future housing demand, also jumped 8.0% to an annual rate of 1.080 million in April from the revised March rate of 1.0 million.
Meanwhile, a report from
Most Popular Stories
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Morgan Stanley Ponies Up $275 Million to Settle SEC Charges
- Ricky Martin Joins 'The Voice ... Mexico'
- Ukraine Says Russians Firing Across the Border
- Jennifer Lopez, Pitbull to Perform at Fashion Rocks
- Ford Q2 Net Profit up 6 Percent
- U.S. Weighs Refugee Status for Immigrant Kids