The cancer typically associated with asbestos exposure may also eventually be found to be caused by synthetic particles called multi-walled carbon nanotubes. Surviving Mesothelioma has just posted an article on some disturbing new research. Click here to read it.
Scientists at the
"MWCNT-L…was found to translocate into the pleural cavity, deposit in the parietal pleura and induce fibrosis and patchy parietal mesothelial proliferation lesions," notes lead author Dr. Jiegou Xu. These lesions can be precursors to mesothelioma on the pleural lining.
The study, published in Cancer Science, is a longer version of the team's previous research which found that MWCNTs moved out of the lungs but not into the outer pleural layer. Now, Dr. Wu believes that study had simply been too short to see the full effects.
"This study is a sobering reminder for anyone who works with or around MWCNTs to take lung protection seriously," says
To read the details of the new study and learn more about effects of different types of nanotubes, see Carbon Nanotubes: A New Cause of Mesothelioma? available now on the Surviving Mesothelioma website.
Xu, J et al, "Size- and shape-dependent pleural translocation, deposition, fibrogenesis an mesothelial proliferation by multi-walled carbon nanotubes",
For nearly ten years, Surviving Mesothelioma has brought readers the most important and ground-breaking news on the causes, diagnosis and treatment of mesothelioma. All Surviving Mesothelioma news is gathered and reported directly from the peer-reviewed medical literature. Written for patients and their loved ones, Surviving Mesothelioma news helps families make more informed decisions.
Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/05/prweb11850001.htm
Most Popular Stories
- Islamic State Obliterating Cultural Landmarks in Mosul
- VW Site Could Mean Another 2,000 Jobs for Chattanooga
- Anarchy, Chaos Sweep Across Libya
- Eid al-Fitr Celebrations Mark End of Ramadan
- Report: China to Declare Qualcomm a Monopoly
- The 2014 Fastest-Growing 100
- Oppression of Women Cripples Africa: Obama
- RV Sales See Highest Increase Post Great Recession
- Israeli Criticism of Kerry Annoys White House
- Contreras-Sweet to Speak at MED Week