The billionaire hedge fund manager Sir
The donation means the Conservatives outstripped Labour in private funding during the first three months of the year, bringing in £6.7m compared with the opposition's £4.4m.
The trade union Unite was the biggest donor in the quarter as it handed over £1.8m to Labour – more than double its typical quarterly funding for the party.
The cash shows Unite is still squarely behind Labour despite
Among the other parties, the Liberal Democrats got £1,074,482, Ukip received £493,412 and the Greens got £233,512.
Big donations to the Conservatives also included £257,500 each from the party co-treasurers
But the most significant was the lump sum from Hintze, who was knighted in 2013 and has been entertained with his wife at a "thank you" dinner by the prime minister in Number 10.
The hedge fund manager has come under scrutiny over the tax affairs of his CQS group's companies. The Daily Mirror reported last year that his
One of his firms also settled a £23.5m bill with the taxman after using employee benefit trusts to reduce tax on earnings.
It was rumoured that Hintze had stopped donating to the party over gay marriage and other issues but this is the biggest cheque he has written for the Conservatives since he started funding them a decade ago. He also loaned the party £2.5m through an investment trust in 2005.
Most Popular Stories
- Homeowners More Satisfied With Mortgage Servicers
- Discounts Help U.S. Auto Sales Sizzle in July
- Russia, Ukraine Now Face Off Over Football Clubs
- Colorado Issuing Immigrant Driver's Licenses
- Fiat Looks Abroad After Chrysler Merger Vote
- Chrysler U.S. Sales in July Hit 9-Year High
- MassMutual Teams Up With ALPFA
- Recruiting and Keeping the Perfect Employee
- Obama Vows to Veto House Immigration Bill
- Dow Wipes Out Gains for the Year: What Happens Now?