A surprisingly large drop in US industrial production also hurt sentiment.
Banking stocks struggled also with energy shares as crude oil prices slid below
The German DAX lost 1.1%, the
In the eurozone, seasonally adjusted gross domestic product grew only 0.2% sequentially, the same rate as seen in the fourth quarter, Eurostat reported. Economists had forecast the rate to double to 0.4%.
The French economy unexpectedly remained flat in the first quarter after expanding 0.2% at the end of 2013, the statistical office Insee said today. GDP was forecast to rise 0.1%.
Most Popular Stories
- National Retail Federation Reduces Sales Forecast
- Sporty Ford Fiesta Fires on All 3 Cylinders
- Pandora Tumbles in Late Trading
- Citigroup Unit Paying $5 Million to Settle SEC Charges
- Execs Help Entrepreneurs, Get Chevy Volts
- Amazon Hiring on Calif.'s Central Coast
- Small Firms Take Out the Trash in Jersey
- Obama Seeks Help From Central American Leaders
- CalPERS Still Profiting From Tainted Investments
- 'Big Bang' Writers Hit Comic-Con