During a two-day official visit that ended on Friday (
Noting that youth unemployment figures were still high, Lagarde said the kingdom should develop "a prosperous and dynamic economy that will create jobs, especially for young people, who are a vital pillar of strong economic growth".
Young Moroccans are essential to the country's strong, sustainable and balanced growth, she added.
The challenges for
She also highlighted the role of education in combating unemployment and the need to improve training to give young people the skills needed by employers.
Moroccan Finance Minister
Unemployment, however, continues to be a problem.
While unemployment among non-graduates is generally no more than 6%, it remains high among graduates, especially higher-level graduates (20.9%) and graduates from faculties (23.3%).
And Moroccans are still waiting for the new employment schemes announced in 2012, sociologist
"Graduates must be regarded as a priority when it comes to employment. It is not acceptable for the problem to be getting worse and worse. There is an urgent need to help them access the job market through parallel training courses and work placements. There is also a need to review university courses, which must address the needs of businesses," she said.
The government has pledged to cut unemployment to 8% by 2016. To achieve this aim, he says, it will be necessary to adopt new measures to stimulate the job market.
Young people have high hopes that their situation will change. Hamza Taribi, 26, earned a law degree four years ago.
"I'm ready to retrain so I can work. I'm still waiting for the government's new schemes. The black hole of unemployment is unbearable," he says.
Most Popular Stories
- Neighbor Warns Chris Brown to Stay Off His Property
- Venezuelan Officials Banned From Traveling in U.S.
- Adrienne Bailon Disses Ex-Lover Rob Kardashian
- Hiring on the Rise at Small Businesses
- NSHMBA Names Lincoln as Automotive Partner
- Hispanic Arts Leaders Unite Across the Border
- Islamic State Fights for Control of Syrian Oil Wealth
- Sanctions Will Hit Russia Hard if Not Lifted Quickly
- Jerry Brown Favors More Shelters for Immigrant Kids
- How to Fit Green Energy Into Your Portfolio