Miguel Alema˝y has been appointed chairman of the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers foundation board, the organization announced.
Mr. Alema˝y takes over for Diana Gomez who has served as chairwoman for the SHPE Foundation since 2009. Ms. Gomez will continue to serve on the Board of Directors.
The City of Industry, Calif., nonprofit works to develop educational enrichment and academic outreach for Hispanic students by offering resources, grants and scholarships for those interested in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM). The organization hosts the largest Latino technical conference in the nation with this year's event taking place Nov. 5-9 in Detroit.
Mr. Alema˝y, an executive with Procter & Gamble, is a lifetime member of SHPE. He serves on SHPE's management committee and the Foundation's Board of Directors.
""It is an honor for me to serve as chair of the SHPE Foundation," Mr. Alema˝y said in a press release. "There is nothing more important for the future of our country, both in terms of global competitiveness as well as our own societal wellbeing, than ensuring that a sufficient number of our young men and women choose a career in a STEM field."
Barry Cordero, SHPE Inc. interim CEO, board president and SHPE Foundation board member, said Mr. Alema˝y's selection will be instrumental in moving the organization forward.
"Miguel is an outstanding leader who brings to the organization his experience, wisdom, and a true dedication to educating the next generation of Hispanic STEM professionals," Mr. Cordero said.
Most Popular Stories
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- 10 Things to Know About Alibaba
- Five Steps to Protect Yourself from Data Breaches
- Concur Sold to SAP for $8.3B
- Federal Probe Finds Christie Did Not Order 'Bridgegate'
- Chrysler Recalls Nearly 189,000 SUVs
- Intruder Gets into White House
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas