Currently, the major averages are positing notable gains, near their highs for the young session. The Dow is up 105.58 points or 0.6% at 16,688.92, the Nasdaq is up 44.82 points or 1.1% at 4,116.69 and the S&P 500 is up 13.16 points or 0.7% at 1,891.64.
The early strength on
Pro-Russian separatists in the
"Optimism about capital market reforms in
He added, "While vague and stated 6 months ago after the Chinese plenum, investors seized on the
Additional news on the merger-and-acquisition front has also generated some positive sentiment, with shares of
Steel stocks have shown a particularly strong move to the upside in early trading, driving the NYSE Arca Steel Index up by 2.1%. Optimism about the impact of the Chinese market reforms may be contributing to the strength in the sector.
Networking, internet, gold, and airline stocks are also seeing significant strength, moving higher along with most of the other major sectors.
In overseas trading, stock markets across the
Meanwhile, the major European markets have all moved to the upside on the day. While the German DAX Index has surged up by 1.3%, the
In the bond market, treasuries are seeing modest weakness, extending the pullback seen in the previous session. Subsequently, the yield on the benchmark ten-year note, which moves opposite of its price, is up by 1.8 basis points at 2.641%.
Most Popular Stories
- Illegal Immigration Near Historic Low, Despite What You May Have Heard
- Small-Business Loans Fueling Economic Growth
- Saudi Arabia Will Open Stock Market to Foreigners
- Gasoline Costs Drive Consumer Price Increases
- Ford: New F-150 Is No Lightweight
- Durbin Drubs Walgreen for Possible Tax Dodge
- Tesco Head Steps Down After Profit Warning
- Russians Fed Steady Diet of Conspiracy Theories
- Want a Job? Try Minneapolis
- Comic-Con Offers Toy Designers a Chance to Go Wild