The Standard & Poor's 500 index rose two points, or 0.1 percent, to 1,886 as of midday Thursday.
The Dow Jones industrial average rose two points, just 0.02 percent, to 16,583. The Dow set an all-time high the day before.
Technology stocks rose more than the rest of the market. The Nasdaq gained 25 points, or 0.6 percent, to 4,140.
Bond prices rose. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note fell to 2.61 percent.
Most Popular Stories
- Pandora Tumbles in Late Trading
- Sporty Ford Fiesta Fires on All 3 Cylinders
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- World Tensions Don't Curb Enthusiasm for Stocks
- Visa, Amazon Results Drag Down the Street
- Russia Fears Lasting Damage From Ukraine Crisis
- U.K. Economy Surpasses Pre-Crisis Peak
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile