In response to the application, the
"The reason for the grant of the licence is to enable the applicant (Ketraco) to operate and provide network facilities services," says the notice by CCK.
All power transmission lines contain a fibre optic cable that aids communication between generators and the control centres.
According to Mr
"We think of it as an investment opportunity, especially now that we are building more lines and we do not exhaust our capacity within the fibre cable,"
By so doing, Ketraco will be following in the steps of
The electricity distributor has been collecting as much as Sh100 million a year in revenue from such leases, on behalf of Ketraco, from the existing high voltage transmission lines.
LEASING OWN NETWORK
This is besides the funds it receives from leasing its own network, estimated to measure about 3,000 kilometres.
Ketraco is targeting to lease about 4,000km of its network once ongoing projects are completed.
The company is constructing a 328km transmission line between Mombasa and Lamu, a 450km line between
Ketraco is wholly owned by the government.
It is tasked with construction of high voltage electricity transmission lines that will form the backbone of the national transmission grid as per the economic growth blueprint Vision 2030.
Most Popular Stories
- Pandora Tumbles in Late Trading
- Sporty Ford Fiesta Fires on All 3 Cylinders
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- World Tensions Don't Curb Enthusiasm for Stocks
- Russia Fears Lasting Damage From Ukraine Crisis
- Visa, Amazon Results Drag Down the Street
- U.K. Economy Surpasses Pre-Crisis Peak
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment