The Spring Festival kicked off in
"The Spring Festival is a big event so it needs time to organise and this is why it is every two years," said Al-Mawred. "This is its sixth edition since 2004."
The festival aims to present a range of contemporary performances that straddle many art forms, such as music, theatre, dance, visual arts and literature.
The Spring Festival also features workshops that range from percussion to contemporary dance, hip hop and Capoeira.
The heavy emphasis on cultural exchange is obvious in the diverse line-up planned by the organisers Culture Resource or Al-Mawred Al-Thaqafy, which includes artists from
"This year, we are focusing on African art and performances and we opened the South African artist
"We feel that the political and social situation in
So far the festival has seen Lira and The Meal perform; most of the performances are yet to come (the next one is 1 May). Hailing from
Other highlights include the upcoming performance by Palestinian group Turab, which was established in 2004 by a group of young musicians with the aim of developing a contemporary Palestinian musical tradition. Using instrumental pieces, Turab's music is rife with political and social commentary on politics, love, social justice and daily life under occupation. Turab has released three albums and is working on a fourth. They will perform at the
Some of the performances feature free admission, subject to the venue, and the festival runs until 26 May.
Most Popular Stories
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Ukraine Says Russians Firing Across the Border
- Ford Q2 Net Profit up 6 Percent
- U.S. Weighs Refugee Status for Immigrant Kids
- Jennifer Lopez, Pitbull to Perform at Fashion Rocks
- Morgan Stanley Ponies Up $275 Million to Settle SEC Charges
- Ricky Martin Joins 'The Voice ... Mexico'